- Street: University of Amsterdam, 1012 WX
- City: Amsterdam
- Country: Netherlands
- Listed: June 10, 2018 2:00 am
- Expires: 8497 days, 18 hours
- The University of Amsterdam is one of Europe’s most prominent research-led universities. It is a modern institution with a long and rich history dating from 1632.
- On 8 January 1632, Gerardus Vossius opened the Athenaeum Illustre, the predecessor of the University of Amsterdam, with his inaugural lecture ‘De historiae utilitate’ (On the usefulness of history). The next day, Caspar Barlaeus gave his famous lecture on the wise merchant, ‘Mercator Sapiens’.
1174 total views, 1 today